Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Wonder Inspired 4th grade Self Portraits


Today, 4th grade starting working on their self portraits, inspired by the art of Tad Carpenter, and the fabulous art teacher Katie Allain.  You can check out their art on their Instagram accounts, if you click on  their names. He's the artist who designed the cover for the book, Wonder!
Here's how we created ours!
Materials:
Pencils
hair examples

Day 1: Talk about the book and movie, Wonder. I plan on playing the audio book, and listening to it while they work. I demonstrated how to draw a simple outline of a face and a simple hairline, like the artist did. I then demonstrated how to trace/color with a Sharpie, and paint with liquid watercolors. I also put up different hair styles on the screen. I think individual copies at their tables would work better, btw :)

Here's my fist 4th grade class, working on theirs today!