Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Kindergarten Snowy Owls


It's freeeezing in TN, so what do we have on the brain?? SNOW! Sadly, there are no snow days in the forecast, so we'll create our own wintry weather! 
This week, Kindergarten will be starting this snowy little owl picture! Mrs. Stacey loves owls, and owls are so interesting! I've checked out a neat owl book, the librarian has passed on some great web resources, and to top it off, we'll create our own little owlet!



Materials Needed:


Day 1: Create our background and learn about owls! I found a GIANT pack of gray paper that I've never used, so I thought we'd start out with that for our base sky color. Then, I added the moon, stars, and swirls for wind with a white pastel. Next, I got out my old tempera paint and used black and blue to paint the entire page. 

This is when the book and owl info comes in. We have to wait for our backgrounds to dry before we can add a branch, and paint our owl. As they finish their backgrounds, I'll read parts of the owl book, and then get on Pebble Go, and show them additional pictures and videos of owls!

I'm really digging this book and the illustrations in it!!







Day 2: Our backgrounds are dry, so we're ready to add our branch, owl, and snow!






When the owl dries, you can add eyes and a beak!



So, after it dried, I thought it need a little something.....So I added a little black pastel, and I like it much better now!

For a shorter lesson, if you'd rather not paint your background, that will work too!




Here are some adorable owls from Mrs. Robertson's class!








Here's some cute lil owls from Mrs. Campbell's class!




Love this lil owl's hair-do!!


Here are some from Mrs. Susong's class!