Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 19, 2018

2nd grade Value Ice Cream Cones


Today, 2nd grade embarked on a new project! New to me and certainly new to them! I saw this awesome idea on Abby Schukei's blog, Art, Eat, Tie Dye, Repeat and decided to give it a go!
Here's how we created ours!
Materials:

Day 1: Talk about the Element of Art, VALUE! Value is super duper important, y'all! Value is the lights and darks of a color. We use value to shade things, and to make our pictures just look more AWESOME! ;) I like to say, Value adds $Value$! Need another example of Value...how about the ever popular Ombre craze? It's everywhere! You can have ombre from head to toe if you wanted!
Well, we're making ombre ice cream! lol
Today, we're focusing on the lights or the TINTS. I tell them, not like the tent you sleep in! A TINT is when you add white to a color. (A shade is when you add black to a color, but we're not doing that)

I gather them around my middle table in my room and show them how to paint a 6x18" piece of paper. I start with my plain color, and slowly add dollops of white to make the color get lighter and lighter! I remind them to paint in one direction to make the color smoother too. After I paint my long paper, I show them how to paint their cone paper. I used oil pastels to make crisscrossing diagonal lines. (peach and brown from Crayola's oil pastels) Then, they got to work!

Here's Mrs. Fitch's class, hard at work, making their Tints & cones!














Day 2: I'll get them to trace an ice cream template on the back of their paper, cut them out, and assemble them on a complementary color of their ice cream!





Mrs. Fitch's class doing a great job!













Here's Mrs. Parsons' class, hard at work!