Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

3rd grade Oil Pastel Snowmen at Night


3rd grade has been working on this project, inspired by the book, Snowmen At Night, for the past couple of weeks now, and I had to share how they're doing! This was one of my last art on a cart lessons, so I thought it might be helpful for art on a cart folks, or just someone looking for a simple, but beautiful wintry lesson.  Here's how we made them! By the way...This lesson was inspired by A Faithful Attempt art blog! Look em' up! :)
Materials:

(links to products on Amazon)

Day 1: We read the story Snowmen At Night, , and then I demonstrate how to draw a snowman (not just 3 circles balancing precariously on top of one another!) but overlapping circles! (that don't have to be perfect) Then I ask them to decide where their light source is going to be (the moon), and then we figure out what side the shadows will be on. (the opposite side) Start out dark with the blue oil pastel, and then get lighter. Don't forget to shade underneath the snowman or snowwoman ;) 
Here's a video of me starting this project and doing some coloring!


Here's a timelapse of me coloring my snowman with Crayola Oil Pastels.


Day 2: They add details and finish the background!
Here's a little video of me finishing the background and adding details to my snowman.


Here are some of my students, working really hard on their snowmen!


















Stay tuned for more awesome art!