Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2018

Back to School! Collaborative Mural




WE'RE BACK! Seems like just a few days ago, I was posting about the end of the school year! I don't know about y'all, but Summer just flew by! It was so wonderful to spend all Summer with my sweet babies, and I'm missing them something fierce, but my "babies" at school are making the transition a little easier! 
We have been priming rocks for our rock garden, but while we're waiting for more supplies to come in, we got started on a new project! (That's the life of an art teacher, y'all!) You've got to be flexible, and just roll with it! 
I found this project last year, while scoping the web for some new fun things for our kids to do. His site is called Shine Brite Zamorano, and he's an art teacher based in California (Their art teacher of the year to boot!) I also saw posts about this from the Tennessee Arts Academy, and thought, "It's time to try it out!". Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your awesome program! 

Here's how we created our own version! I'm going to do this with 3rd-5th. This should take about a day to do! Great project to kick off the start of the school year, and have a beautiful mural to display when they're done!


Materials:
Tru-Ray construction paper 6"x 6"( squares and triangles)

I started out by showing them the Shine Brite blog, and the artist they got their inspiration from. Here's an image of Tulapink's quilt. (you can find her on Instagram through that link)
(image from Shine Brite Zamorano blog)

It's so beautiful!! 
The kids don't really think about a quilt being art, so it's fun to make them realize it is! 

Then I demonstrate how to choose my colors, glue them together, start my lines, and color using the color sticks. 
I talk about drawing the lines from the tippy top of the triangle, and making them slanted. Then I turn it around, and do the same thing!
I show them how you can color lightly or dark with the color sticks, but the dark coloring really pops on the wall!








Here's some 4th and 5th graders working on theirs!






































Here's some 3rd graders from Mrs. Walker's class!